A computer forensics’ job involves conducting investigations, data recovery, and electronic discovery. As one, you need to possess solid foundation of technical experience and expertise, possess strong communication skills and ability to meet individual’s expectations. The job scope is very wide. Let’s look at 10 of the key responsibilities as below.
1. Plan, organize, conduct, and manage a variety of computer forensic examination activities such as conducting live analysis on networks, and multiple platforms.
2. Provide advices on related technical issues to enhance forensic engagements.
3. Provide computer forensic services such computer forensics examiner digital evidence preservation, analysis, data recovery, tape recovery, electronic mail extraction, database examination and etc.
4. Manage and perform comprehensive technical analyses and interpret of computer-related evidence such as e-mail, accounting software, various databases, and information stored on electronic devices.
5. Ensure that evidence collection methods are conducted, managed, and archived in a manner consistent to maintain preservation and protection of data and evidence.
6. Ensure all lab hardware and software are verified and validated as required by the State Law.
7. Evaluate and troubleshoot a variety of technical issues including hardware and software troubleshooting.
8. Conduct security assessments, penetration testing, and ethical hacking and conduct exams on compromised computers and servers.
9. Work according to budget by completing it within the timeframe.
10. Perform other job-related duties as necessary such as demonstrate effective communication and work closely with partners, managers, staff and clients.
The list goes on.
It is worth mentioning that as a computer forensics, you are expected to have knowledge and experience in operating systems such as Windows, Macintosh, Linux or UNIX, and DOS. Besides, you must possess good writing and communication skills. Last but not least, as a result of the multi-tasking, the ability of managing it is critical. Hence, critical thinking, problem solving and the ability to endure long working hours is vital.